For Prospective Authors
What does Brookes Publishing do?
Founded in 1978, Brookes is an independent, highly respected educational publishing company with a strong focus on helping all people—with and without disabilities—reach their potential. We publish 50+ new titles a year on screening and assessment, early intervention, inclusive and special education, autism and other disabilities, literacy, behavior, communication, and more. To learn more about who we are and what we do, please see our About Us page, browse our latest catalogs, check out our latest awards and press releases, and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Interested in joining our exclusive list of authors or submitting a proposal? If you need to contact one of our acquisitions editors, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I submit a proposal?
To submit a proposal to us, send the following items to email@example.com.
- A prospectus. Tell us about your book! Be sure to include its focus, purpose, authors, audience, and competition; describe the issues it will tackle or the problem it will solve; clarify what makes it important or unique; and tell us who will use it and how. You can share as much information as you want to give us the best possible understanding of your book.
- A completed Publication Questionnaire. Please fill this out thoroughly; we use your responses to inform our decisions about your proposal and to envision how your project would be marketed.
- An annotated table of contents. Provide as much chapter detail as you can. For edited volumes, indicate how many chapters have been assigned and who will write each chapter. Contributors don’t have to be secured for all chapters in the book at the time you submit your proposal.
- A copy of your curriculum vitae (CV) and the CVs of any co-editors or co-authors who will participate in the development of your book.
- Any relevant supporting material. Send us a chapter or lesson plan, technical data or articles, reference citations, or other representative samples.
When will I hear back from you?
You should expect to hear back from us within a week or two to acknowledge we have received your proposal and to share next steps. Our acquisitions editors carefully consider your submission; the process may include both an internal review and peer reviews by experts in the field. Because this review process is comprehensive, it may take up to three months for us to contact you with a decision about your proposal.
Why should I publish with Brookes?
Brookes is a trusted name in the field—we’ve been publishing groundbreaking resources for more than thirty years, and our authors are some of the most highly respected experts in early childhood, early intervention, education, and disabilities. We’re proud of our past, but we’re also a dynamic team dedicated to creativity and innovation. We take your professional reputation and the quality of your work seriously. And because we’re a smaller company, you can actually pick up the phone and talk to us about your book. Our staff work hard to develop strong, trusting relationships with Brookes authors, so you and your project will get personalized attention every step of the way.
You’ll feel like an integral part of the process as we work to connect your product with the professionals who need it most.