Interested in joining the Brookes team?
You can apply for an open position, pursue a Brookes internship, or submit your resume for future consideration if you don’t see a position that matches your skills.
Who we are
Located in Towson, Maryland (just north of Baltimore), Brookes Publishing is an independent highly respected educational publishing company with a strong focus on helping all people—with and without disabilities—achieve their goals and lead fulfilling, self-directed lives. We publish 50+ new titles a year on screening and assessment, autism, literacy, behavior, communication, and more. Learn more about our mission.
To apply please send your cover letter with salary requirements and resume to:
ATTN: HR Department
P.O. Box 10624
Baltimore, MD 21285-0624
Fax: (410) 337-2608
Please, no telephone calls—we’ll call you if you’re under consideration for a position. Brookes Publishing is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
Brookes Publishing is looking for an Acquisitions Editor to join our team.
Responsibilities and Duties
The successful candidate is a self-starter looking for a leadership opportunity and has a track record of developing reputable, financially viable books and products. Deep knowledge of trends in the early childhood and early intervention disabilities fields preferred. The Acquisitions Editor will report to our Editorial Director and be responsible for:
- Working with Editorial Director to establish priorities and to ensure the resulting publishing program reflects Brookes Publishing’s standing in the Education marketplace
- Working with the Editorial Director to develop a strategic editorial plan for aggressive growth of the list; creating three-year projections for all acquired titles, tracks progress on signings, and ensures on-time delivery of products
- Working closely with authors to develop research and work
- Identifying, evaluating, and developing submissions, projects, and proposals, including:
- Monitoring trend and sales data
- Arranging for projects to be independently reviewed by qualified expert
- Developing and implementing publication plans for each project including performing market and competitive analyses, summarizing the content, identifying potential markets, and outlining financial plans including costs, suggested price, and number of copies
- Crafting and presenting new and proposed book projects to Editorial Committee weekly
- Negotiating agreements for books and products; working with authors to ensure that terms are met
- Working closely with internal teams (e.g., production, marketing) to shepherd work from manuscript through publication and beyond
- Preparing and implementing product development plans with authors to ensure timely manuscript delivery
- Working direct reports to ensure the timely and complete delivery of content to Production staff for publication in print and digital formats
- Maintaining current knowledge of educational trends and practices as well as new methods of publishing and delivering content
- Keeping Brookes Publishing publications at the forefront of the field and closely track original and consequential research suitable for publication
- Visiting key campuses, attending professional conferences, cultivating relationships with leading researchers and authors, and engaging deeply with the relevant literature
- Preparing annual qualitative and quantitative assessments of the lists
- Working cooperatively with our team of acquisitions editors and assistants;
- Setting standards of professionalism and leadership in interactions with all internal staff;
- Representing and acting as an ambassador for Brookes Publishing in all external interactions;
- Performing other duties as needed or required.
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree and five years of publishing experience required. Previous experience with educational or scholarly publishing strongly preferred.
- A strong track record of acquisitions in the field
- Exceptional editorial skill in guiding authors and shaping manuscript and products
- Proficiency with publishing agreements and revenue projections
- Pragmatic problem-solving and analytical thinking Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Superior oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization, time management, prioritization, and planning skills
- Ability to work independently and to work in a team-environment with accuracy, flexibility, and cordiality
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
Brookes Publishing is looking for an Implementation Specialist to join our team.
Responsibilities and Duties
The successful candidate will be a creative, outgoing self-starter and a proactive team player who will serve on the working team charged with developing and managing our bestselling print- and web-based data-management systems. The Implementation Specialist will be responsible for:
- Developing and delivering effective interactive product training sessions and webinars
- Creating and developing effective instructional content to support users
- Providing accurate and timely set up and maintenance of on-line product subscription accounts
- Partnering with vendors and external technical support providers, to ensure effective and efficient support; document and escalate (as needed) technical support issues
- Establishing relationships with key customers to assist with market research and product beta testing
- Working with product marketing team to define and implement customer communications strategy, establishing and maintaining web community and network for products
Qualifications and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree
- at least 1 year of experience in a product training, product marketing, or publishing-related position
- Intermediate proficiency in computer operation and the Microsoft Suite programs
- Experience using web-based applications and/or databases
- Excellent telephone presentation skills with demonstrated ability to disseminate technical, educational, and regulatory information
- Excellent writing and content creation skill
- Excellent time-management, organizational, communication, and problem–solving skills
- Knowledge of the education or early childhood education marketplace is a plus
Are you a college student with a strong interest in the editorial and/or marketing aspects of publishing? We offer full- and part-time internships throughout the year. If you’re interested in joining the Brookes team, consult the internship requirements of your college or university and submit a résumé and cover letter that describes your interests and career aspirations.