Interested in joining the Brookes team?
You can apply for an open position, pursue a Brookes internship, or submit your resume for future consideration if you don’t see a position that matches your skills.
Who we are
Located in Towson, Maryland (just north of Baltimore), Brookes Publishing is an independent highly respected educational publishing company with a strong focus on helping all people—with and without disabilities—achieve their goals and lead fulfilling, self-directed lives. We publish 50+ new titles a year on screening and assessment, autism, literacy, behavior, communication, and more. Learn more about our mission.
To apply please send your cover letter with salary requirements and resume to:
ATTN: HR Department
P.O. Box 10624
Baltimore, MD 21285-0624
Fax: (410) 337-2608
Please, no telephone calls—we’ll call you if you’re under consideration for a position. Brookes Publishing is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
A successful Associate Editor will have relevant publishing or subject-matter experience and enjoy creating and enhancing scholarly content. The Associate Editor position supports Acquisitions Editor(s) in acquiring and developing books, products, and services.
Scope of work will include working with Acquisitions Editor(s) to:
- Meet defined objectives and goals for manuscript development and delivery
- Plan the organization, features, and other aspects of products; complete developmental edits; prepare developmental reviews and analyses
- Ensure timely development and delivery of manuscript and other product materials; manage manuscript launch tasks and processes for assigned products
- Complete timely and thoughtful review of product content, front matter, artwork, designs, and other related materials
- Develop and maintain relationships with authors in assigned list areas
- Attend symposia, conferences, meetings to enhance relationships and build knowledge
- Solicit and assess product proposals for publication; coordinate internal and external review of product proposals
- Coordinate timely receipt of agreements, contracts, and all other legal documentation related to product acquisition and publication
- Conduct continual list, legislation, market and competition research; demonstrate knowledge in launch meetings, positioning meetings, editorial committee, and sales meetings
- Meet defined objectives and goals for product acquisition, project and author management, manuscript development and delivery
- Assist in budget development and tracking
- Handle general administrative needs
This position requires:
- At least a bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of 2 years’ relevant work experience and/or mix of experience and education
- Knowledge of early childhood, communication and language, K-12 education, and/or special education markets is a plus
- Demonstrated proficiency in developmental editing and project analysis
- Excellent communication, editing, and writing skills
- Excellent research, data analysis, and multi-project management skills
- Intermediate proficiency in computer operation and Microsoft Office Suite programs; some graphics experience useful but not required
- Professional demeanor and cooperative approach to work in an office environment
Customer Service Specialist
The Customer Service Specialist will facilitate the successful and timely resolution to customer inquiries and needs, as well as accurately and efficiently process orders for timely fulfillment.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Accurately entering and processing phone, mail, website, and fax orders for various products and service.
- Providing professional, courteous, and informative customer service to inbound callers
- Gathering and entering complete and accurate customer and account information into order fulfillment system(s).
- Entering product data into various databases.
- Identifying, promoting, and offering related books, products, and services to customers
- Maintaining a high level of product knowledge.
This position requires:
- 2 years relevant experience; order entry and/or call center experience preferred
- Keen attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Excellent phone manner and communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Professional suite
Marketing Assistants are an essential part of our collaborative marketing team dedicated to supporting the work of educators. In this entry-level role, they partner with marketing, sales, production, and editorial to launch new products and build our audiences. Reporting to the Marketing Manager, the Marketing Assistant will support a wide range of marketing activities, contribute to product positioning and messaging, and help create and execute multi-channel campaigns.
The successful candidates will be creative and resourceful self-starters who will help achieve the Company’s goals by:
- Assisting with the planning, execution, and analysis of marketing campaigns, including coordination of direct mail, conferences, webinars, email, advertising, publicity, and other activities.
- Providing organizational and administrative support to the Marketing Managers, including author communications, pre-publication endorsements, marketing collateral, webinars, customer queries, and project management assistance.
- Assisting in the creation of content that supports customer engagement goals
- Developing product support materials (flyers, slide decks) to assist sales representatives.
- Coordinating surveys, external product reviews, competitive analyses, and other market research.
- Contributing to larger marketing department projects.
- Being very knowledgeable about Brookes products and markets and applying that knowledge to support sales and marketing efforts.
- Updating and maintaining customer and product information databases.
- Representing the company at selected local, statewide, and national conferences.
This position requires:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 1-2 years of relevant experience and/or mix of experience and education in:
- Marketing planning/management
- Content marketing
- Product marketing or management
- Marketing automation
- Email and/or social media marketing
- Ability to think creatively and conceptually as well as analytically
- Professional demeanor and cooperative approach to work in office environment
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Excellent time and multi-project management skills
- Intermediate Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite of programs
Are you a college student with a strong interest in the editorial and/or marketing aspects of publishing? We offer full- and part-time internships throughout the year. If you’re interested in joining the Brookes team, consult the internship requirements of your college or university and submit a résumé and cover letter that describes your interests and career aspirations.