The teacher-trusted, research-backed UDL primer
Design and Deliver
Planning and Teaching Using Universal Design for Learning, Second Edition
By Loui Lord Nelson, Ph.D.
Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is the best way to teach all students effectively and break down barriers to learning—but what’s the best resource to get started with? Find the answers in the second edition of this bestselling, teacher-trusted primer, created by internationally recognized UDL expert Loui Lord Nelson.
What’s new in the second edition
- Key insights from the latest neuroscience research
- Useful stories and practical tips from teachers implementing UDL
- Technology bytes: timely tips and ideas on how to enhance online learning with UDL
- Expert guidance on current topics, including culturally responsive teaching, urban education, and a focus on the expert learner
- “Ponder this” prompts throughout the book to help readers consider new ideas and discover additional resources
- End-of-chapter “check-ins” that help readers apply what they’ve learned
Want to learn more about this edition? See the full listing.
Supplement your teaching with these Online Companion Materials
- CAST UDL Guidelines
- An Identifying Your Resources chart
- A UDL design cycle graphic
- A UDL lesson plan flowchart
- Classroom resource mapping charts for elementary, middle, and high school teachers
About the author
Loui Lord Nelson, Ph.D.
Loui Lord Nelson, Ph.D., Educational Consultant and Owner, The UDL Approach, Indianapolis, Indiana Loui Lord Nelson is an internationally recognized leader in universal design for learning (UDL) implementation. A former special education teacher, she held the first known school district-based UDL coordinator position, completed her UDL postdoctoral fellowship at CAST (the creators of UDL), is a member of the CAST Cadre, and is part of the UDL-Implementation and Research Network (IRN) leadership council. She has worked with educators across the United States, Canada, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Australia. Her publications include Design and Deliver: Planning and Teaching Using Universal Design for Learning (Paul H. Brookes Publishing, 2014), “The Role of Technology in Implementing Universal Design for Learning” (Routledge, 2017), Culturally Responsive Design for English Learners: The UDL Approach, and A Tree for All: Your Coloring Book of UDL Principles and Practice (CAST Professional Publishing, 2019). She also hosts the popular UDL in 15 Minutes podcast, heard in over 47 countries, and a new podcast, UDL Research in 15 Minutes. Both can be found at https://theudlapproach.com/podcasts/.
Full bio »
View the table of contents
About the Downloads
About the Author
Foreword David Rose
I Introducing Universal Design for Learning
1. Introducing Universal Design for Learning
2. The Must-Knows of the UDL Framework
II The Principles of Universal Design for Learning
5. Action and Expression
III From Planning to Practice
6. The Learning Environment
7. The Goal and the Lesson
- A handy resource that shows you what’s been added and updated in the new edition
- A book excerpt that includes the full table of contents
- A slide deck that provides a comprehensive overview of the new edition
- A Q&A with Loui Lord Nelson about what’s new in the updated edition—including material on using UDL to enhance online learning
- A blog post on UDL and Self-Regulation During Distance Learning