The fundamentals teachers need to deliver high-quality literacy instruction
Speech to Print
Language Essentials for Teachers, Third Edition
For two decades, Speech to Print has been a bestselling, widely adopted textbook on explicit, high-quality literacy instruction. Now the anticipated third edition is here, fully updated with ten years of new research, a complete package of supporting materials, and expanded guidance on the how of assessment and instruction in today’s classrooms.
- New and expanded practical content on the how of language and reading instruction
- New and updated chapter exercises
- New faculty support materials
- More on key topics like program and curricula selection, frameworks for instructional planning, and problem solving when students are slow to respond to intervention
- More accessible, undergraduate-friendly tone and structure
- Additional graphics to illustrate key concepts
Want to learn more about this edition? See the full listing.
- Sample syllabus/course outline
- PowerPoint slides for each chapter
- Chapter quizzes
- PDF handouts for selected concepts
- Videos demonstrating production of all the sounds in the English language
Louisa Moats, Ph.D.
Dr. Moats has been a teacher, psychologist, researcher, graduate school faculty member, consultant, and author of many influential scientific journal articles, books, and policy papers on the topics of reading, spelling, language, and teacher preparation.
Dr. Moats’s awards include the prestigious Samuel T. and June L. Orton award from the International Dyslexia Association for outstanding contributions to the field; the Eminent Researcher Award from Learning Disabilities Australia; and the Benita Blachman award from the Reading League.
Full bio »
- A handy resource that shows you what’s been added and updated in the new edition
- A book excerpt that includes the full table of contents
- A sample syllabus that demonstrates how to use this new edition in your course
- A slide deck that provides a comprehensive overview of the new edition
- A webinar on Speech to Print: Language Essentials for Teaching Reading
- A video q&a with Louisa Moats about what’s new in this latest edition
The ideal companion to the third edition of the bestselling Speech to Print textbook, this revised workbook helps teachers deepen their understanding of spoken and written English, practice and strengthen their skills and knowledge, and prepare to deliver high-quality reading instruction.
Learn more about the workbook