Profiles of Early Expressive Phonological Skills™ (PEEPS™)
Assessing the early phonological skills of toddlers, so that speech-language pathologists can detect speech and language delays early
Expressive phonological skills, based on a set of 60 target words that typically developing children acquire by the age of 18–24 months
Speech-language pathologists in a clinical setting
PEEPS gives clinicians a comprehensive picture of early phonological skills in less than 20 minutes. The kit includes the full PEEPS assessment (60 words) and a shorter PEEPS screener (20 words) that helps determine if in-depth testing with the full PEEPS is warranted.
Your quick, convenient tool for assessing early phonological skills and detecting delays
Phonological development is linked with a child’s later success with language and literacy, but tests of early phonological skills are often not sensitive enough for the youngest children. That’s why clinicians need PEEPS™, a comprehensive assessment of early phonological skills developed specifically for toddlers 18–36 months. Created by leading experts in early phonological development and speech sound disorders, PEEPS helps speech-language pathologists detect speech and language delays early, so children can receive the intervention and support they need to be effective communicators on track for academic achievement.
- Developmentally appropriate. Unlike similar tools, PEEPS is specially developed to screen young children and uses elicitation techniques and vocabulary words that are appropriate for this population.
- In-depth assessment of an overlooked skill set. Early phonological skills are often not assessed, even though they affect early lexical development. PEEPS is the tool clinicians need to analyze the key components of phonological development, including phonetic inventory, syllable structure, accuracy of consonant production, and error patterns.
- Accurately identifies delays. Because most phonological measures aren’t designed for the young age range, young children may be overidentified as struggling with phonological skills—or a wait-and-see approach is taken with these children, which can delay starting early intervention. PEEPS helps accurately evaluate children struggling with phonological skills, so they can receive support as early as possible.
- Quick, convenient, and flexible. PEEPS gives clinicians a comprehensive picture of early phonological skills in less than 20 minutes. The kit includes the full PEEPS assessment (60 words) and a shorter PEEPS screener (20 words) that helps determine if in-depth testing with the full PEEPS is warranted.
What You'll Need
- Examiner’s Manual
- Pack of 10 forms
- A Book of Things stimulus board book
- Drawstring bag for examiner to use for physical stimuli
- Demo video